I know I have a few weaving friends who care about the weaving process, and partly to document it for myself, here is a bit about how “Wooly Ice Cream” came to be.
I was asked to participate in the upcoming exhibit at the Textile Center of Minnesota, “Artists in the Kitchen: 50 works of art by women artists inspired by 50 women chefs & restaurateurs.” Read more about my inspiration business collaborator, Ashlee Olds, in “Two Great Things in Life: Deadlines and Ice Cream.”
After weaving a band of zig-zag krokbragd, I wove a row of female figures referencing the conference celebrating women chefs and restauranteurs.
Can you find the similar symbols in these medieval Norwegian billedvev pillow covers? I remembered that this symbol is a female or goddess symbol, but when I couldn’t find that documentation easily at hand, I checked with Annemor Sundbø, who agreed it was a female figure and could also be a tree of life symbol.
A Russian Instagram friend sent a link to a photo of a similar symbol in Russian embroidery. I plan to do more with this symbol in the future; some research, some weaving.
The next band of krokbragd was a bit broader, and then I moved into the ice cream cones. I planned to make them various flavors of Ashlee’s ice cream, and even picked out the colors I would add to each cone. With forming the loops over a stick after every shot, it was going to be too time-consuming to add the colors while weaving, so I planned to needle in the flavor colors later. However, after weaving the white cones I decided that adding colored areas would lessen the graphic punch of the cones. No berry crumble!
After the cones came one more broad krokbragd band; I love the look of the field of stars.
I added a row of stars, traditional symbols of good luck and prosperity, which in this inspiration piece means a hope for a successful business venture when Sweet Science Ice Cream opens in a free-standing shop in St. Paul this summer. I wasn’t so happy with the proportions of the stars, but didn’t have time to rip them out and come up with a better plan.
After the stars, I unrolled it from the front beam (I know, you’re not supposed to to that; it might mess up the tension) to look at the full piece and decide what was needed at the very top for balance. After weaving a narrow krokbragd band, off the loom. Whew.
It curled a bit on both ends. On the bottom, it turned out that I didn’t like the first band I wove, so I turned it over as a hem and it was flat and fine. The top curled even more, but when I added a fabric band an velcro for hanging, it was flat and fine, too.
Finally, ready to hang, in time to deliver for the show and to leave for a great trip to Paris.