Finally, the loom is clear and I am ready to dismantle it and take it to the studio in the Casket Arts Building. This banded rya piece was just the sort I love; planned, but with room for experimentation and with fabulous, dense reds to work with. I constantly wondered whether my idea for using traditional Norwegian techniques and symbols in a new combination would be graphic and appealing, and whether the bands I wove would be in balance. I took it off the loom when my son was visiting, and he was very impressed. Thanks, Joe!
I started the piece with bands that included laid-in patterns. My husband walked by the loom at around this point. “I really like that.”
After I began on the rya star section he walked by one day and almost involuntarily blurted out, “Eewwww.” (Yes, he SAID that.)
What do you mean, I asked. You can’t really see what it will be yet. “Oh, it just sort of looks like an explosion.” Now I was worried. Would it have my intended effect?
My husband had a point. It did sort of look like an explosion. I thought that I would make the rya somewhat sparse, but clearly I am not capable of that; the star is dense, using a combination of wool yarn, along with a little linen, that I find appealing. When I started the rya section I cut what seemed like a mountain of red yarn, yet I found myself returning to cut more, time and again.
Sometimes the cat thought it was supposed to be a joint activity.
And now I have ideas for other pieces with symbols and bands, maybe even bigger that the size of this one, 31″ x 48.” Here are some more detail shots.
Love this Robbie! Very nice! LaDonn Jonsen Decorah, IA
What a talent!! It’s gorgeous!
You must log in to post a comment.